Story Week 13

"These flowers have never grown so well. I am getting the hang of this," thought Sita. 

Rama and Lakshmana were out saving the forest from danger...classic Rama. He was always playing the role of the hero. So, in their absence, Sita decided to tend to her garden. The trio had been exiled many years before and were finally adapted to the forest life. They had built a cozy hut to live in, and Sita was finally learning how to be normal. She could now cook, clean and even garden! Sita was completely entranced by her flowers when voices broke her focus. 

“Hello, dear.” It was a voice she knew all too well and loved far too much. “Look what we’ve brought you,”  said Rama with a grin. He had several rabbits in hand that Sita could cook with. 

Since being in exile, food was not nearly as easy to find. It took hours to hunt and hours to cook. So, each meal was a victory and this was no exception. 

“Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!” replied Sita. She was about to take the rabbits inside to prepare for dinner when she was distracted by a large, yet strangely beautiful deer. Since being in the forest, she had become far less merciful toward nature and in this moment, she wanted the deer for her own. 

“Someday, when I am in the palace again, I want this deer as my personal pet,” Sita decided to herself. She called to Rama and explained to him what she wanted for him to do. Rama and Lakshmana were both strong in their discernment abilities and they both knew that this was abad idea. But, as always, Rama was simply spellbound by his wife and said yes. 

Off he went into the maze of green. This is the last time Sita would see her husband. 

“Sita! Lakshmana!” 
“Sita, Lakshmana, please help me!”
“SITA!”
 
Sita had been working tirelessly to make dinner before Rama returned home. These shouts shook Sita to the core and she knew in her soul that Rama was in danger. Lakshmana, discerning, once again, knew that Rama rarely needed assistance. But, at Sita’s request, went to help. Lakshmana was barely out of eyesight when there was a *knock, knock, knock* at the door.

Slowly, Sita opened the door. 


It was Ravana.

(Cabin in the Woods. Taken from flickr)

Author's Note:
For this weeks story, I decided to revisit our friend the Ramayana. This specific episode is so pivotal in the layout of this epic. So, I decided it needed some more attention. I added in a fair amount of dialogue as well as more background information as to what was happening throughout their exile. I hope that this makes your concept of the Ramayana more rich and lifelike! 

The Capture of Sita by Nivedita

Comments

  1. Hi Jessie! I like the details you added in your retelling of this story. The little bits of information about how Sita has changed since being exiled added extra depth to her character which was nice. I like the dialogue you added as well, but I wonder if you could add even more. If you included more of how Sita convinced Rama and then Lakshmana to go into the forest you might explore more of her character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessie! I agree with Ryan. I thought that you really paid attention the original details of the story, so you can further develop your writings. By adding more details, you add more depth about each character in the process. So, good job! I thought that your writings were clear and easy to understand as well. I can't wait to read more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jessie,

    That was a great story! I really like how much more detail we are able to give to specific stories or sequences of events in this class. I feel like a lot of the stories rush on very quickly and don’t take the time to give depth to some of the characters. You did a great job with that in this story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jessie!

    I really enjoyed the retelling of this story. The detail and dialogue really helped add layers to the relationship that Sita and Rama. Also, I can’t believe you left us on a cliff hanger. I know we read the story for class but I was enjoying yours so much that I was sad when it suddenly ended but it did have a nice affect on the story overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jesse. I am from the mythology class. You were in the randomizer and I think I ran out of classmates to comment on. I have read a lot of stories about Rama. I truly enjoyed yours. I can tell you worked hard on it. Thank you for sharing and taking the time to write such a great story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment