Week 9 Story

"I can not BELIEVE I fell for that." raged Duryodhana. "I fell straight into that water. Am I crazy for thinking it looked like a floor? I mean, they all laughed straight in my face and did not even help me up! I've always hated those men. My suit was so soaked that one could hardly tell it was pinstriped to begin with!"

"Well, wanna get back at them? I have an idea." questioned Duryodhana's uncle, Shakuni.

"DUH, spit it out!" said Duryodhana, ringing out his jacket.

"Chill out. Or else, I won't help you."

"Okay, I'm calm."

"Good. So, we all know that Yudhishthira is incapable of refusing any sort of challenge...right?"

"Right."

"Well, I am a very, very good gambler, if I do say so myself. I will challenge him to a game of poker in which he is bound to fail. He will gamble away all he is worth." said Shakuni, smirking.

"I like the way your mind thinks!" exclaimed Duryodhana.

---

"I should not have agreed to this." thought Yudhishthira as he descended the steps to the speakeasy. "I can never say no, even when I am thinking it!"

He took in the scene. At the bar, there were 3 women in short dresses, the "new fashion". Each of them had a drink in their hand. Yudhishthira was still uncomfortable around alcohol. He knew that as a Senator, there would be little to no consequences of breaking the rules of the prohibition. But, he could not help but feel guilty. He shook his head. Now was not the time to worry about laws.

In the corner sat two men. One wore a recently dry cleaned suit. The other held a stack of cards, and hid two ace's up his sleeve. This would be easy.

Author's Note:
I really enjoyed re-telling this story. I found that the dialogue flowed easily and that the setting fit perfectly to the original story. In the original story, the two men played dice, while in mine, they are playing poker in a speakeasy. I also chose not to tell the full story of how Yudhishthira lost. I find it more exciting for it to be left to the readers imagination how the actual game went.

(The Pandavas. Taken from Wikimedia Commons.)


Mahabharata Online, Kincaid

Comments

  1. Hello again! I really enjoyed this story, I think it brought a new life to the dice game! When I was reading the original, I kept picturing a smoky bar and the men in the back playing dice, so I think it's cool how you painted that picture in your story. The dialogue was really well written and showed the perspective of each character going into the game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessie! Great to see you are still going strong in this class. I really liked your story. It was was really interesting to read. I really like seeing how people transform different stories that they read. I also like how you used a good amount of dialogue with in your story. I think that can make a story ten times better. Keep up the good work and have a good rest of the semester!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessie! The retelling of this story is great! I also found this story humorous when reading it for the reading assignment. I how you added dialogue and added revenge to the story. The dialogue made the story much easier to read. I also thought it added a little modern twist, with the updated wording. Great job and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment