Reading Notes, Week 7: Mahabharata D

Departure and Afterlife:

For departure: I will keep this story close to the way it is written, as this would be difficult to reimagine in a different time or place. So, my plan for this episode, is to create a very visual story. I will write strong imagery as they walk toward mount meru, throught the forest and toward the sun. I would also add dialogue between the Pandavas as they come closer to their departure. I could create a more visual telling of how each of the characters fall. Lastly, I would create a more vivid description of Indra as well as the transformation of Dharma.

For afterlife: For this retelling, I have similar plans as above. I would love to reimagine what their heaven looks like: perhaps with lots of ivory, pearl and gold. The scene in the forest is already pretty vivid, so I would just add some internal thoughts. Lastly, I would add a more sweet reunion moment.

(Death of Draupadi. Taken from Wikimedia commons.)

Mahabharata PDE
Sources used: Arnold, Besant, Devee, Dutt, Ganguli, Kincaid, Macfie, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Seeger, and Tagore.

Comments